Did you know that one in every three Canadians over age 65 will fall at least once in a year? Falls often have serious consequences such as hip, wrist and pelvic fractures that can have a lasting impact on your quality of life. Chiropractors are committed to reducing injury and disability from falls. A Doctor of Chiropractic can test your strength, steadiness and balance – and give you advice on exercise, nutrition and falls prevention.
Top Tips for Avoiding a Fall
- Remove your reading glasses when you are walking. Always slip them off before you take a step.
- Never climb on a chair or stool to reach something. Always ask for assistance.
- If you have a pet such as a cat or dog, consider putting a bell or reflector on its collar. It’s easy to stumble across an affectionate or sleeping pet that’s in your path.
- Take your time. If you frequently find yourself rushing to pick-up the phone, consider investing in a cordless phone that you can keep near you. Don’t rush to answer the door. The visitor will wait.
- Always sit down to put on or take off shoes and clothing. Place a chair or bench near the entranceway.
- Keep hallways and stairs free of children’s toys.
- Wear shoes or slippers with non-slip soles indoors. That means you might have to give up that pair of loose, comfy slippers with the worn soles.
- Ask for help if you need it. Most people like to lend a hand.
One of the things you have complete control over is – you! There are many choices you can make that will reduce your risk of falling and protect your independence. Check out these tips for simple things you can do to stay safely on your feet.